This article is actually the result of a growing fear! Yes, indeed. Since almost a year I have come across so many people being on the thyroid hormone replacement therapies that you cannot even imagine. I don’t say this kind of therapy is not needed or effective; I want to explain you all aspects of it which probably have never been explained to you! I`ll be honest – you want to know if I am for or against replacement therapies? Always against! Always! Why? Because even if you help yourself with one problem, at the same time many other starts growing! Let me explain you everything in details.
There are different ways people make money. Someone sells different products, other people work hard in corporations, another people, like me, provide services. Somebody has a recipe for his own life to make ends meet. There is also a group of well-educated people who finished their long and hard studies and their job is to help others regain health. I will not call them the way you probably expect because I have known many specialists in different medical areas. What I am getting at is a fact that some people do help others, but the most important for them is usually to keep their patients as close and as long as only possible. This is the worst approach I can really imagine. For me, it has always been a priority to help anyone the best I can and there is no better feeling for me like seeing someone being in a better shape and condition than from the period he or she met me before. I wish all specialists had this kind of approach among their priorities.
Let’s get to the point. Let’s take a deep look at probably the most popular medication among people who probably do not need it!
At first, let me ask you few questions:
- Has your health care provider ever explained you the side effects of L-thyroxine?
- Has he ever diagnosed the reason and root of the specific thyroid problem he diagnosed?
- Has he ever suggested any alternative options to start with?
- Has he ever mentioned the importance of nutrition aspect for thyroid support?
- Has he ever recommended any specific dietary supplement to support your recovery?
If you answered positively to all questions, you are among these lucky dogs who came across a great specialist! If not, let me share with you the list of potential problems your “specialist” has put you in!
- Most of the thyroid problems do not require taking any synthetic thyroid hormones. The very first thing to discuss before recommending any medication is to diagnose the cause of a given problem! What is the reason to take any supplement or medication without knowing what this problem results from? You know I am right, but keep reading!
- Medications should always be the absolute last resort. The first step is always to find the root of a problem, then change your lifestyle, then change your nutrition habits, then think of the implementation of dietary supplements if needed. Medication may help, but you need to focus on the previous steps! Drugs will never help get rid of the problem, they will stop the symptoms instead of fighting the cause!
- The thyroid is usually healthy! There is something that forces it to be less or more active. The thyroid receives many signals from the hypothalamus or pituitary gland and tries to react somehow. But this signals must have come from somewhere at first. Usually, this place from which these signals came to mentioned glands is the place where the problem started. To sum up this point, in order to find the real reason of the problem, the specialist should pay attention to the whole hypothalamus-pituitary-thyroid axis dysfunction!
- What are usually the main factors that contribute to the problems with your endocrine system, mainly thyroid and adrenal cortex? Bad nutrition habits, lack of regeneration and sleep, drastic weight loss programmes, overtraining, inappropriate level of physical activity, gastrointestinal disorders, different digestive tract conditions, stress and anxiety, toxins, etc … Why don’t you take care of these factors and later claim I was right?
- Sometimes replacement hormone therapies are irreplaceable. However, you must know that until your thyroid hormone does function and has not been removed, medications should never be the first solution! Just when you went through a serious disease like thyroid hypoactivity, some bacterial and difficult inflammation or advanced Hashimoto disease, and your thyroid is not able to produce enough hormones anymore, there is a moment to implement medications.
- All less serious problems than mentioned at the end of the previous point require the improvement of the connection with thyroid gland at first. If your thyroid is hypoactive, you need to find out what is the reason of that! If your TSH level is high and your “specialists” prescribe synthetic hormones without checking at least fT3, ft4, TPO and TG antibodies … change the specialist! Let’s say your TSH and fT4 levels are fine but fT3 is too low, what then? Probably a new prescription for synthetic hormones, maybe with lower doses if you are lucky, am I right? Oh My God …
- Let’s imagine you have been prescribed a synthetic thyroid hormone even though not all thyroid lab results are bad. What then? Of course, the communication between different hormones is blocked! Usually, taking synthetic medication brings the situation when the cells are overloaded with a huge amount of thyroid hormones which and they start being resistant to the medication! What does it result in? The number of hormones in the bloodstream is growing without a chance to having access to a cell. If these hormones do not get inside the cell, they will not play their role at all and all the symptoms of hypoactivity will get back…
- There is no difference what is the kind of synthetic hormones you are taking. Using them without a serious reason has exactly the same consequences.Wouldn’t be better to put it away rather than just changing the form of the hormone, especially without diagnosing the real problem? You know what is the most crucial aspect? The time you are on a thyroid replacement therapy! The longer you take the medication, the more difficult it is to regain the natural communication between organs. Unfortunately, if this period is too long, it is impossible to regain the health of a given organ.
- If the hormone therapy is really necessary, the very first step should be to diagnose the factors having the impact on the thyroid gland. Antibiotics, painkillers, lowering cholesterol drugs, blood pressure drugs, and other serious medications – they all influence the ability for thyroxine (T4) absorption.
- Synthetic hormones really work if they are prescribed with a detailed insight of the problem and if they are really necessary as the last solution.
- If you know what is the role of thyroxine (T4) and triiodothyronine (T3), it’s great. In a nutshell, T3 is the active form of thyroid hormone which is converted from T4. Where does the conversion take place? Mainly in the digestive tract, so having any gastrointestinal and the nervous system disorders may result in the problematic thyroid hormones function. If you are stressed or if your guts are in a poor condition (as usual), or if you have mineral deficiences (mainly zinc, selenium and magnesium), or you have had any inflammatory states, the conversion from T4 to T3 will be always worse!
- Some “specialists” claim that synthetic thyroxine is a must to improve metabolism. Ok, but what about T4 that blocks TSH secretion and does not have the impact on metabolism?
- Everybody must have heard of T3 and T4 when talking about thyroid gland, but what about Calcitonin? New word? Has anyone ever checked this hormone? Calcitonin is a hormone that regulates the level of phosphorus and calcium in every organism. If your thyroid is weak and does not produce enough calcitonin, different bone structure problems are just a matter of time.
- Have you ever examined the squad of synthetic hormone medications? They sometimes contain gluten, lactose, sugar or other “additives” which … promote the development of thyroid problems like its hypoactivity! Funny, isn’t it?
Wow! A lot of information, am I right? Some of the facts mentioned above are mine, some of them are taken from the sources many people have no access to, unfortunately, but the point is to think! Think and ask about the basic solutions, because usually, simpification is the ultimate sophistication! Unless you take care of the cause and you take all aspects of the method suggested into consideration, you only bear grudges only against yourself!
sources: www.tlustezycie.pl, www.examine.com, www.suppversity.blogspot.ie and my experience!